Dove Magazine

Ebola virus found in semen six months after recovery

A file photo taken on October 4, 2014 shows people looking on as a woman reacts after her husband is suspected of dying from the Ebola virus, Monrovia, Liberia. Traces of Ebola have been found in the semen of a man six months after his recovery, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, urging survivors to practice safe sex “until further notice”. PHOTO | AFP

A file photo taken on October 4, 2014 shows people looking on as a woman reacts after her husband is suspected of dying from the Ebola virus, Monrovia, Liberia. Traces of Ebola have been found in the semen of a man six months after his recovery, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, urging survivors to practice safe sex “until further notice”. PHOTO | AFP

In Summary

  • The UN health agency had previously said the virus had been detected in semen around three months after a patient had been declared Ebola free.
  • Jasarevic said more research was needed before WHO could provide more detailed advice. “We need to understand better if this particular case is an anomaly or if there really are groups of people who might (carry) parts of the Ebola virus longer,” he said.

GENEVA,

Traces of Ebola have been found in the semen of a man six months after his recovery, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, urging survivors to practice safe sex “until further notice”.

The man had been declared free of the deadly virus in Liberia last September, WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic told AFP.

“He has provided a semen sample which has tested… positive for Ebola, 175 days after his negative blood test,” he said in an email.

The UN health agency had previously said the virus had been detected in semen around three months after a patient had been declared Ebola free.

The new finding has led WHO to recommend that survivors abstain from having sex or that they practice safe sex using a condom beyond the three-month period previously prescribed.

SAFE SEX

“Ebola survivors should consider correct and consistent use of condoms for all sexual acts beyond three months until more information is available,” it says on its website.

Jasarevic said more research was needed before WHO could provide more detailed advice. “We need to understand better if this particular case is an anomaly or if there really are groups of people who might (carry) parts of the Ebola virus longer,” he said.

Until more is known, Ebola survivors should abstain from sex or practice safe sex “until further notice,” Bruce Aylward, who heads WHO’s Ebola response, told reporters last week. (AFP)

He said a number of studies were already under way, as well as discussions about whether Ebola survivors should be systematically screened after three months to determine their status.

“We should have answers to allow us to give more definitive advice to survivors very, very quickly,” he said.

The deadliest outbreak of Ebola in history began in late 2013 and has killed more than 10,600 people, mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

Recommended For You.

Raphael Varane and Mateo Kovacic of Real Madrid during training
Zinedine Zidane will face the oncoming crisis with Cristiano Ronaldo with total and absolute normality, just as he did when

Related Articles:

Title not yet assured, warns Chelsea stars
Mourinho hails ‘fighter’ Gerrard
Messi better now than he was in 2009'
Everton to reject transfer request from Chelsea target John Stones
Steven Gerrard: I was taught to loathe Man Utd
James Wilson signs new four-year contract at Manchester United
Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: who wins the Google war?
Jürgen Klopp to field young, inexperienced Liverpool against Exeter in FA Cup

Leave a Reply

Advertisement

Developed by Amitabha Technology, Inc.